The website uses cookies to allow us to better understand how the site is used. By continuing to use this site, you consent to this policy. Click to learn more.
 

Karen Log Cabin 5 x 3.2m

 
54 Reviews  

5 stars
 
4 stars
 
3 stars: 
 
2 stars: 
 
1 stars: 
 




You are viewing 4-stars reviews (see all reviews)

Reviews

Mr. Paul Brown
Mar 3, 2020
We bought a Karen Log Cabin from Tuin.
We decided on Tuin over other suppliers because I liked the Idea of being able to do what we want with the floor and liked the Blog format that gives you Ideas and tips on how to do things.
The purchase experience was good and the delivery guy with the stacker truck managed to negotiate our tight drive entrance an put the palate exactly where we wanted it.
We inspected the cabin and found that some off the pieces has marker pen on them and one of the windows was very roughly made.
We got in touch with the support team and send them photos, they sent us new pieces and told us to carry on the build using the shoddy window and they would send us a replacement that we could swap when it arrived.
In fact when the replacement came it was worse that the original however the support people pulled out all the stops and we now have a 3rd acceptable window in our possession
We decided to treat all the pieces before we erected the cabin with Osmo Base coat which took about 4 days.
On reflection we should have started erecting the cabin and treated each piece as we put it in position as during the treatment time some of the pieces had started to warp, which we put right using the techniques described in the blog and a few i developed myself.
All went well until we came to putting the door frame together, the design of the door had been changed and the threshold was not as deep as we had been told during pre sales and our floor would be higher than the door threshold which would look terrible.
I contacted the Support and they said the design had been changed and they had not had their information updated, they suggested packing under the door frame to lift it up. I pointed out we would then have to cut a notch in the log above it the depth of the packer otherwise we would loose the expansion gap. We did this and it looks OK.
The rest of the build went well.
We decided to insulate the floor and roof.
We had a suspended timber frame floor so we cut 50mm insulation sheets to go between the joists.
With the agreement of our electrician on the roof we ran the cables for the lights we wanted in the cabin to where we wanted them and laid 30mm Insulation sheets on top of them.
The batons supplied to fix the barge boards were 30mm and we worked out we could put them on top of the roof to stop the insulation sliding down and the barge board still be below the T&G roof boards.
We think it looks good.
Just a note I cut the apex of the roof insulation at an angle so I did not have a gap at the top of the ridge
Finally we fitted the roof shingles which took 2 days.
We then went on holiday for 3 weeks.
We were going to treat the cabin with Saladin Oak treatment but when we came back from our holiday the colour of the cabin had gone from the white to a more mellow colour that we really liked so we swapped the the salodin for some Osmo Clear UV protection and used that to treat the cabin.
The cabin has now been complete for 6 months and I would post some pictured but cant see a way of doing that.
We are pleased with cabin it adds to the look of the garden and gives us valuable space but we did have problems with the window and Door which might have phased someone who was not handy as us.